Happy Cinco de Mayo, friends!
We’re celebrating with a big batch of huevos rancheros topped with a favorite recipe from the archives: Roasted Salsa Verde. The crispy, crunchy tortillas topped with a few runny eggs go perfectly with a generous spoonful of green tomatillo salsa. Eat it for breakfast if you like, or make it tonight and call it dinner; we won’t judge.
Charring the tomatillos, onions, and chilis in a dry skillet when making the salsa gives it the most delicious smoky flavor. You’ll be licking it off your plate for sure.
Avocado, feta cheese, tomatillos, limes, cilantro, and chilis… so many favorites in one recipe.
- 8 eggs
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- 1 avocado / peeled and thinly sliced
- feta cheese
- One recipe Roasted Salsa Verde
- Prepare the salsa according to the recipe: http://www.adventuregathereat.com/roasted-salsa-verde/
- Using a small skillet, fill with ¼ inch of olive and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, fry each tortilla individually and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In another skillet, heat 2 TB of olive oil over medium heat and fry eggs to desired doneness.
- On four individual plates, layer tortillas, eggs, avocado, and salsa and top with feta cheese and cilantro.