These spiced molasses cookies are basically a mouthful of Christmas topped with an extra sprinkle of sugar and spice. A good helping of thick molasses give these cookies a soft, chewy texture that is perfectly complimented by a warm array of holiday spices.
I couldn’t go through this Christmas season without posting at least on Christmas cookie recipe, and this one just happens to be personal favorite. Molasses cookies are actually a family tradition at holiday gatherings, and while these cookies will never be as good as Uncle Jason’s, I’d say they’re pretty darn close.
The recipe I am sharing was a slight adaptaion from the site, Simply Recipes. Follow the link to check out the original recipe!
Please admire this creamy, sugary, buttery goodness.
Using a coarse ground sugar such as Sugar in the Raw gives these little cookies a beautiful, crunchy and golden exterior! Insert heart eyes emoji here.
Sugar on sugar on sugar!
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cloves
- pinch of black pepper
- 1½ sticks of butter / softened
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coarse sugar / sugar in the raw
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and whisk well to incorporate the ingredients evenly. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream butter for 1 minute until creamy and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula. Add sugars and mix on medium speed for an additional minute.
- Add egg, molasses, and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until smooth and ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and stir on low speed stopping once dough is evenly combined.
- In a small bowl combine coarse sugar and remaining spices.
- Using a medium sized ice cream scoop, scoop dough and form into balls using the palms of your hands. Roll in spiced sugar mixture and arrange evenly on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and let cool on a rack.