We're starting off this week with a simple, seasonal recipe featuring everything that's growing in your garden right now -- cucumbers, cabbage, and lots of fresh dill. The recipe for this simple slaw was actually developed by a co-chef, Laura Siefkes from our newly created group, Chef + Farmer Collective. Laura served this slaw at our July pop-up restaurant alongside a smoked salmon grilled cheese sandwich with dill cream cheese. This fresh, ultra-bright salad was the perfect contrast to the rich, smokey, buttery sandwich. Check out my last post, The Gathering Table, for more details and lots of pretty pictures from this event
All. Yes, all of the fresh ingredients for this blog post were sourced from the Cameron Park Farmers Market here in La Crosse. Oh yeah by the way, we moved to Wisconsin this summer! Moving to a new city obviously includes exploring all of the local farmers' markets. The Cameron Park Market was no disappointment for us. It's unique setting in a downtown city park along with it's very close proximity to the Food Co-op make for a pretty ideal Friday night ritual.
The cutest little baby cabbage you ever did see! I used one small cabbage when making this recipe, but if you can only find larger cabbages, use 1/2 of it and save the rest for later.
This slaw is super versatile! As mentioned before, it goes really well with fish, especially salmon. Think grilled salmon fillets or salmon tacos. It would also be great on top of a bbq sandwich or just by itself as a quick side dish.
Simple Slaw with Cucumber + Dill
Author: Kayla Diercks
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 small cabbage / thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber / julienned
- 3 TB fresh dill / chopped
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 TB honey
- salt + pepper
- Remove the core from the head of cabbage, thinly slice cabbage, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Julienne the cucumber and add it to the cabbage.
- Roughly chop the fresh dill and transfer to the large bowl.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together white wine vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper. Pour over the slaw mixture and toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.