The star of this sweet, summery refreshment is undoubtedly the perfectly ripened peaches from the Iowa Orchard stand at the Des Moines Farmer’s Market – not to mention the fresh basil that was picked from our own windowsill. These peaches are what get us out of bed before 8 am every Saturday morning. Well, that and the Farm Boy’s breakfast burritos. If you can’t get fresh market peaches, grocery store ones will do, of course, but you really should just spring for those farmer’s market ones – you won’t regret it!
I feel like I need to include a special thanks to everyone who contributed to the lovely props featured in this blog post. This post would not look nearly as good if it were not for the Target and Anthropologie wedding registries as well as our very generous friends and family! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice / 4-5 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves / roughly chopped
- 2 cups peach puree / 3-4 peaches
- Combine sugar, basil leaves, and 1 cup of water in a small sauce pan. Heat over high heat until syrup begins to boil and sugar is dissolved. Transfer simple syrup to a heat proof bowl and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, strain out basil leaves using a fine mesh sieve.
- For the peach puree, begin by roughly chopping peaches. Add peaches and a splash of water into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Strain puree through a fine mesh sieve using a spatula to work the puree through the strainer.
- In a large pitcher, combine lemon juice, 2 cups of peach puree, 1 to 1½ cups of basil simple syrup (to taste) , and 2 cups of water. Stir well and pour over ice. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh sprigs of herbs!