Turns out fall in the Driftless Region is just as lovely as they said it would be. The bluffs turn a little less green and a little more warm every day. The weather is perfectly crisp and ideal for tenting. Not to mention, the scads of apple orchards that can be found all along the country side. Gives me a strong urge to watch Gilmore Girls… you know?
We’ve been getting out and about to take advantage of all these perks and just wanted to share a few of our favorite portable snacks with all of you. To start, this Fall Trail Mix is chock full of all the best nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. It’s salty + sweet, warm + tart, chewy + crunchy. Everything a good trail mix should be.
OUR FIVE FAVORITE ADVENTURE SNACKS:
- Fall Trail Mix: duh!
- My mom’s Rice Kripsie Bars: they’re by far the best Rice Krispie treats under the sun. Extra thick. Extra buttery. Extra marshmallowy. I also eat them for breakfast because they’re made of cereal.
- Paqui Cool Salsa Verde Tortilla Chips: I was first introduced to these by my friend, Jen Jaeger, and it’s safe to say I’m obsessed now. They’re like a better for you, way tastier version of Dorito’s.
- Honeycrisp Apples: Is there any other apple? We’ve been buying them five pounds at a time lately, and last weekend we even picked our own at a local orchard.
- Gimme Some Oven’s No-Bake Energy Bites: I like to whip up a batch of these every other week so that we always have a few in the fridge. These little bites are packed with protein and make a perfect mid-morning or post-work out snack.
Last time we took this trail mix camping with us, we just threw everything together in a jar and gave it a good shake!
The cinnamon roasted almonds really give this trail mix that warm spiciness that makes you think of everything fall-like. We get ours at our local food co-op.
- ½ cup dried apples
- ½ cup shelled pumpkin seeds [pepitas]
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup peanut butter chips
- ¼ cup cinnamon roasted almonds
- Measure out all ingredients. Combine ingredients in a ziplock bag or jar and mix well!