Grilled Chicken Wings with Red Currant + Jalapeno BBQ
Servings: 4 / Prep time: 30 minutes + 1 hour for brining / Cook time: 20-25 minutes
2 lbs chicken wings
For the brine:
4 cups water
4 TB kosher salt
1 TB mixed peppercorns, cracked
2 lime wedges
For the sauce:
1 cup fresh red currants or 1/3 cup currant jam
1/3 cup red onion / diced
1 clove garlic / minced
1/2 to 1 TB jalapeno / diced
1 1/2 TB balsamic vinegar
4 TB grainy mustard
2 TB tomato paste
3 TB brown sugar
1 tsp chipotle
2 green onions / thinly sliced
1. Combine all brining ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken wings and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. If using fresh currants, cook berries in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Once berries have bursted, let simmer for 5 minutes. Strain berries through a fine mesh strainer and reserve juice for bbq sauce.
3. To make bbq sauce, saute onions, garlic, and jalapenos in a small sauce pan for 3-5 minutes over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.
4. Grill chicken wings on medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
5. Transfer wings to a large bowl and toss in the bbq sauce. Garnish with green onions!