Say hello to our all time favorite week-night dinner — Chicken Enchiladas. The spicy shredded chicken comes together in the slow cooker and a homemade enchilada sauce is ready after five minutes in the blender. Top them with feta crumbles, pumpkin seeds, and chopped cilantro after they come out of the oven and dinner is done!
I couldn’t give you a recipe for enchiladas without a homemade enchilada sauce recipe, of course. The sauce I used in this recipe comes from one of my all time favorite food blogs, Pinch of Yum. Her recipe for 5 Minute Blender Enchilada Sauce is just as easy as it sounds and takes homemade enchiladas to the next level.
I went a step further with my enchiladas and drizzled on some homemade hot sauce from my dad. His favorite recipe for homemade hot sauce is Rick Bayless’s recipe for Chile de Arbol. Next time you’re feeling ambitious, give this hot sauce recipe a try — you won’t be disappointed. It has a smooth heat and a unique nutty flavor from the pumpkin seeds in the recipe.
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 TB evoo
- 2 TB lime juice
- salt + pepper
- 10 flour tortillas /10 inch
- 8 oz Monterrey jack cheese / shredded
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 TB pumpkin seeds / shelled
- handful cilantro / chopped
- one recipe Pinch of Yum's 5 Minute Blender Enchilada Sauce: http://pinchofyum.com/5-minute-blender-enchilada-sauce
- Prepare on recipe of Pinch of Yum's 5 Minute Blender Enchilada Sauce.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker and season with olive oil, lime, and salt and pepper. Add half of the enchilada sauce to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once chicken has been cooked, shred with a fork and remove from the slow cooker.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Add chicken and cheese to each tortilla and roll tightly. Arrange in the pan and cover with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and enchilada sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with feta cheese, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds.