Next up on the blog: Slow Cooker Cheese Steak Sandwiches with Poblanos + Portabellas. These slow cooker sammies are a snap to make and, hey, just look at that melty cheesy goodness — just look at it! They’re also loaded with spicy poblano peppers, portabella mushrooms, and caramelized onions.
We use Italian Seasoned Steak Rolls from the Fareway Bakery when making these steak sandwiches, but any good steak roll will do!
This meal is another staple for me and Trevor; he’s actually the one who makes them the most often. Have I ever told you guys that Trevor makes supper for me every night when I work till 7? It’s so so nice to come home to yummy meals like this after a ten hour work day. What can I say? He’s a winner!
Other than the “locally sourced” bakery rolls, these sandwiches aren’t really local or seasonal by any means. But hey, sometimes you just need a warm, toasty, cheesy, carb-loaded sandwich in the middle of winter. Right? Right.
- 2.5 lb chuck roast
- 4 garlic cloves / crushed
- 3 TB red wine
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TB grainy mustard
- few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 poblano peppers / sliced
- 2 portabella mushrooms / sliced
- 1 yellow onion / sliced
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
- 6 steak rolls
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. Season the chuck roast generously with salt and pepper. When the skillet is hot, sear the roast on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice the yellow onion and layer ¼ of the onion in the bottom of a slow cooker. Reserve the remaining onion and refrigerate. Add the chuck roast to the slow cooker.
- Combine garlic, red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, hot sauce, and spices. Whisk together and pour over the roast and top with thyme sprigs. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours. When the roast is cooked through, remove thyme sprigs and shred the roast using two forks.
- Once the roast is ready, heat a skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add in peppers, reserved onion, and mushrooms and season with salt. Sauté until tender, around 15 minutes.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange steak rolls and top with chuck roast, sautéed veggies, and provolone. Broil on high heat until cheese is melted.